A Tafsīr is a well-researched commentary and explanation of the meanings of the Qurʾān. There are several good ones available in English. Tafsīrs often have linguistic, juristic and theological dimensions.
A commentary of a Ḥadīth collection is called a Sharḥ.
The author of a Tafsīr is a Mufassir (pl. Mufassirūn).
- Fakhr al-Dīn al-Rāzī
- Rūḥ al-Maʿānī روح المعاني http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruh_al-Ma'ani by محمود الألوسي
- Jāmiʾal-Bayān by Ibn Jarīr al-Ṭabarī (9th and 10th centuries CE)
- Tafsīr Ibn Kathīr (14th century CE), a refined version of the previous
- Asbāb al-Nuzūl by al-Wāḥidī (11th century CE), translated by Mokrane Guezzou (context of revelation)
- Tafsīr al-Qurṭubī by al-Qurṭubī (13th century CE), translated by Aisha Bewley
- Tafsīr al-Jalālayn, by Jalal al-Din al-Mahalli (15th century CE) and Jalal al-Din al-Suyuti (16th century CE)
- Fath al-Qadir by Muḥammad al-Shawkānī
- Tafsir al-Kabir by Fakhr al-Din al-Razi (12-13 century CE)
At Tafsîr Ul Kabîr, par Fakhr ad-Dîn ar-Razî (1150-1209) (Mafâtih al-Ghayb «Clef pour l'invisible»)
- At Tafsîr Al Baydâwî, par Al-Baydâwî (?-1286) Anwâr at-Tanzîl wa Asrâr at-Tâ'wîl «Lumières de la déduction et les arcanes de l'interprétation».
- al-Zamakhsharī linguist الزمخشري wrote al-Kashshāf الكشاف grammatical but muatazila theology
*Ḥaqā'iq al-tafsīr by Abū'Abdal-Raḥmānal-Sulamī (10-11th century CE)
20th century commentaries
- Tafsīr of ʿAbd al-Raḥman Ibn Nāṣir al-Saʿdī عبد الرحمن بن ناصر السعدي
- Muhammad Asad's the Message of the Qur'an
- Maʿāriful Qurʾān by Muhammad Shafi‘, translated by Muhammad Hasan Askari and Muhammad Shamim, revised by Muhammad Taqi Usmani
- Risale-i Nur by Bediuzzaman Said Nursi
- Tafhīm al-Qurʾan by Abūal A'lā Mawdūdī
- Tafsīr al-Mizān by Muhammad Hussain Tabatab (a Shia commentary respected by Sunni scholars)
- Tadabbur-i Qurʿān by Amīn Aḥsan Iṣlāḥī
- Bayyinah lectures by Arabic teacher Nouman Ali Khan
- Al-manār by Muḥammad Rashīd Riḍā
- Fī ẓilāl al-Qur'ān (In the Shade of the Qur'an) by Sayyid Quṭb, translated by Adil Salahi
- Tafsīr al-shihāb by Ibn Bādīs
- Tafseer-e-Usmani by (Allama) Shab(b)ir (Ahmad) Usmani
- Tafsir Ishraq al-Ma’ani: Being a Quintessence of Quranic Commentaries by Syed Iqbal Zaheer
*Journey Through the Qur'an by Muhammad al-Ghazali * A Thematic Commentary on the Qur'an by Muhammed al-Ghazali * Translation of the Meanings of the Noble Qur’an in the English Language by Taqî ud-Dîn Al-Hilâlî and Muhsin Khân * Interpretations of the Meanings of the Noble Qur’ân in the English Language by Taqî ud-Dîn Al-Hilâlî and Muhsin Khân