That which brings you closer to another object
- general: good deeds bring you closer to Allah
- specific: ways to increase the chance of duʿāʾ being accepted
- You who believe, be mindful of Allāh, seek ways to come closer to Allāh and strive for Allāh’s cause, so that you may prosper. 5:35
- Those whom they invoke seek means of access to their Lord, [striving as to] which of them would be nearest, and they hope for His mercy and fear His punishment. Indeed, the punishment of your Lord is ever feared. (17:57)
Qurʾān and Sunnah allows using:
- Allāh’s names and attributes
- Your state, past and present (Duʿāʾ of Zakarīyah)
- Your good deeds
- The Duʿāʾ of a living person
All other types are bidʿah or even shirk.
Tawassul through the Prophet:
- Follow his Sunnah
- Love him
- Defend his honour
Bidʿah to ask Allāh through the Prophet’s status, body or honour.